Right now I’m doing some experimentation with linoleum and reductive printing. What that means is I use one block, carve out (typically) the areas I want printed white and print in the lightest color. After I print as many as I want I carve away what I want to remain of that color, and then print in a darker color. You typically work from light to dark, but I might mess around with doing some oppositely with an opaque color on top.
I already finished one series which you may have seen in the gallery of prints, which is based off the photo I took of Haruka, 혜경 (Hyegyeong) and 미선 (Miseon) at Nami Island near Gapyeong, South Korea. It was a moment I was really fortunate to catch on film, when they were walking down a hill behind me and the leaves turned out to be too slippery so they grabbed each-others hands. I don’t typically work from photographs but I wanted to focus on doing something in a variety of colors, to really muck around with some weird combinations and see if I got any unexpected successes. I also didn’t want that time and paper to go to waste as just an experiment, so I did it as a gift. Anyway, some of the monochromatic prints turned out nicely, though I thought they were a little obvious, and the other ones were more interesting.
Now I’m working on a couple of silly pieces where I don’t plan it out so meticulously. I am trying to break out of my comfort zone where everything is super-precise and let the stages kind of develop on their own. As I get more done I’ll be sure to document the progress!
I finally got all of the galleries up and running, with the exception of the misc. multimedia section. There are many pieces I have done recently that I want to add, but have yet to scan any current drawings. Nevertheless there is finally something in every section.
I also added lightbox to streamline the gallery and to prevent too much navigation confusion– now it’s all very neat and tidy.